Department of Communication
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Communication is searching for an Academic Advisor to mentor and advise undergraduate students regarding course selection, career interests, degree progress and other issues related to the undergraduate academic experience.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advising Communication majors and minors on curricular requirements; Assisting students with course selection and registration;
- Familiarizing students with UIUC policies, regulations, and graduation requirements; Monitoring student progress toward degree completion;
- Advocating on behalf of students experiencing personal difficulties and referring them to appropriate campus resources;
- Using DARS, Banner, and UGradRecs to create and maintain files for all undergraduate students to record and track students’ progress toward a degree and to determine when students need additional academic assistance in order to design individual support plans for students.
- Advising students on academic opportunities including study abroad and teaching, research, and career internship programs;
- Advising students on post-baccalaureate plans such as graduate or professional schools and careers
- Contributing to the design and execution of student recruitment efforts; Assisting incoming students during summer orientation;
- Planning and assisting with undergraduate student events, including orientation, convocation, and activity fairs. Representing the department at student activities.
- Working with department-related student groups; selecting and supervising student advising interns;
- Participating in departmental communication/marketing efforts; and teaching up to two courses per year in Communication, as needed by the department
Master’s degree in Communication, social science field, humanities field, or related fields required.
A minimum of two years of advising and/or teaching experience at the university level in communication or a closely related field.
Successful candidates will have the ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty members, administrators, and other advising colleagues. Sensitivity to issues concerning human diversity, including issues related to race, culture, class, religion, gender, sexual identity, and disability. Working knowledge of DARS, Banner, and UGradRecs or like advising systems. Familiarity with the organizational and pedagogical needs of a communication curriculum. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues. Working knowledge of undergraduate academic program policy and procedures.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu, directly apply to our position and upload your cover letter and resume by October 7, 2021. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-6747. For further information on this specific position, please contact Cara Finnegan at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.