Assists Press Operator with press make ready, operating, and maintaining sheet-fed or web offset printing press. This includes inserting packing sheets on plate cylinder to build up plate to printing height, fastening reinforcing bars to offset blankets, and installing plates and blankets on press cylinders, using hand tools and power tools, to achieve pressure required for printing. Adjusts press machine parts, such as feeder and delivery mechanisms, suction grippers, guides, feed wheels, jogging devices, tapes, and cams, using hand tools. Assist in removing and replacing worn rollers and adjusting pressure between rollers of press, using hand tools. Wash blankets and cleans ink and ink distributing rollers and ink fountains, using ink solvent and cleaning mechanism on press. Assist Press Operator by making necessary color or register corrections and/or press adjustments prior to production run to meet and maintain the quality specifications of the work.
- Requires general knowledge of offset presswork procedures and materials.
- Ability to read and follow job specifications to determine press set-up materials needed to run the job successfully.
- Skill to follow instructions to operate equipment safely and produce the desired product.
- Ability to use micrometer to mount and align the printing plate correctly.
- Ability to make adjustments to feeder and feedboard (e.g., ability to adjust suctions and blast, front and side guides and the timing of the head stops).
- Skill in performing routine operational maintenance and minor repairs to equipment under guidance of senior level Press Operators.
- Job requires ability to exert 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.