Job Description Summary
Responsible for assisting the Chief Washington Counsel in providing professional legal services to the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association on areas of responsibility as assigned by the Chief Washington Counsel. Primary focus of this position is providing legal advice and counseling relating to the Federal Employee Program (FEP), including: contract drafting and review, statutory and regulatory interpretation, business support and audit support.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides legal support to Association procurement and business teams on procurement and contracting matters, including: RFP development; contract drafting; and reviewing and negotiating contracts. Provides legal advice on government contract issues, including application and interpretation of the FAR and FEHBAR.
- Provides legal support to the Association/FEP audit team, including reviewing audit findings, drafting responses and negotiating settlements with OPM Office of Inspector General.
- Provides advice and legal support to the FEP team of the Association, including guiding and working cooperatively with internal clients to help them reach their business objectives and avoid significant legal risks and exposures. Provides written and verbal legal opinions that consider both legal risks and business alternatives for issues impacting the Association and specifically, FEP. Manages cross functional projects with strategic importance to FEP and the Association.
- Educates oneself on emerging legal issues especially in health care and government contracts, and applicable case law and Federal statutes and regulations.
- Consistently acts as a member of the legal team by regularly informing team members of important matters, emerging legal trends, and recent legal developments.
Required Education, Certifications and Experience
- Bachelors Degree
- Juris Doctorate- A law degree, admission to a state bar
- At least five years legal practice experience
- Experience managing large projects and interacting with senior level staff
- Experience in litigation, contracts, and healthcare law
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Proven ability in legal research, analysis and drafting
- An awareness of the legal environment in which Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans and the Association operate
- Strong organizational skills as well as demonstrated ability in project and time management
- Ability to maintain a strong presence in client meetings, while representing the Association's interests
- Ability to work with top management within the Association, Blue Plans, and government agencies through a responsive client- oriented approach
Preferred Education, Certifications and Experience
- Experience with the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program a plus
- Experience with government contracts, the FAR, compliance audits and OIG investigations
People Management - No