At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
**This is a Casual position primarily located at Lake Forest Hospitaland will provide coverage at the Glenview and Grayslake Outpatient facilities.**
The Cardiac Sonographer II reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Performs all modalities of adult echocardiography including: transthoracic (2D) imaging, echo imaging with bubble study, pharmacologic echo, trans esophageal echo, and treadmill stress-echo. Competent performing studies utilizing echo contrast.
- Competent evaluating study images as acquired & able to adapt image acquisition obtaining optimal quality study per ICAEL standards.
- Performs pediatric echocardiograms and transmits for review by pediatric cardiology.
- Integrates patient history, medical record documentation, & lab results to adapt sonographic exam as necessary.
- Evaluates, synthesizes, and communicates preliminary findings to cardiologist and nursing staff as appropriate.
- Performs all measurements and calculations necessary for each exam per ICAEL recommendations.
- Completes appropriate documentation and charging for each exam.
- Conducts laboratory duties as delegated by department director, manager, or senior technician.
- Assists cardiologist with probe positioning/support during trans esophageal echo procedures.
- Able to operate cardiology PACS system for transmission, report management and study access.
- Participates in preparation for required quarterly echo-lab quality assurance/process improvement sessions.
- Maintains records for daily operations and assists in maintenance of documentation related to ICAEL certification/re-certification.
- Properly cares for cleaning & maintenance of TEE probe post exam.
- Coordinates scheduling of echo procedures at main hospital and Grayslake campus.
- Acts as resource SME in development of policy/protocol related to cardiac sonography.
- Orders and maintains adequate supplies.
- Educates patients and staff regarding all aspects of echocardiography.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- ARDMS or CCI
- 2 to 3 years of undergraduate education or equivalent
- BLS through American Heart Association
- Graduate of formal diagnostic Medical Sonography Program accredited by Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) or Associate Degree in ultrasound/sonography technology from accredited college
- 2 or more years of experience as a dedicated cardiac sonographer
- Experience at an academic medical center
- Involved with the ASE/ ARDMS /CCI
- Bachelor of Science and degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Experience maintaining documentation and preparing ICAEL submission for echo-lab accreditation
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.