To serve as an access point resource for physicians, staff, and patients. To assist with the most appropriate level of care and admission status. To apply approved criteria and guidelines in decision making, as well as managed care rules and practices. To ensure a smooth admission experience for patients by coordinating clinical needs with operational processes and insurance benefits. Ensures the patient is at the most appropriate level of care for the expressed severity of illness and level of services required. Applying national guidelines and clear communication with physicians. Assists in easy access to incoming patients by arranging transportation when necessary, coordinating services, and notifying points of entry of patient's impending arrival. Queries the admitting physician for additional information as needed to meet medical necessity for admission or appropriate level of care. Refers cases to physician advisor for any outlier cases. Coordinates admission with registration staff to obtain accurate patient demographics as indicated. Refers appropriate cases to patient financial services, risk, peer review, infection control and patient relations. Knowledgeable of the available outpatient resources and sites of care within the organization for referral to lesser levels of care when appropriate. Coordinates patient activity and flow or movement between levels of care. Identifies potential throughput barriers and acts proactively to inform and alert upper management of anticipated delays. Reviews clinical against Milliman criteria to help determine patient class and level of care needed. Confers with MD to discuss clinical and appropriate level of care when needed. EOE Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Anchored by Northwestern Memorial Hospital, the No. 1 hospital in Illinois seven straight years by U.S. News & World Report, Northwestern Medicine's integrated health system is on a relentless pursuit of better healthcare. While each of our ten hospitals and over 400 clinic and administrative locations has a unique story, we all share the same vision: to serve Patients First.
Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital is a nationally recognized, 333-bed acute-care facility. With more than 1,040 physicians on the medical staff in 90 specialties, Central DuPage Hospital (CDH) is a regional destination for oncology, neurology, orthopedics, pediatrics and cardiology. In 2010, CDH earned Magnet recognition for nursing excellence from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
Advance to a better career with Northwestern Medicine. The clinical admission nurse is part of the dynamic care coordination team at CDH. The clinical admission nurse does not provide direct patient care.
- Top decile national performance with Patient Satisfaction
- Top tier Employee Satisfaction.
- Chance to work in a fast paced environment while collaborating with a multidisciplinary team.
- Opportunity to enhance the patient experience to ensure a smooth admission or transfer experience by coordinating clinical needs with operation processes and insurance benefits.
- Determines optimal level of care and appropriate admission status utilizing approved criteria and guidelines.
- Collaborates with team members to ensure timely and safe throughput for patients.
- Utilize technology to support clinical knowledge and improve the patient experience.
- At least two to five years patient care experience in a hospital setting
- BSN required for all new hires as of 1/1/2011
- Able to multi task quickly, and process multi factoral stimulation accurately
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, and the ability to work with minimum supervision
- Past experience in admissions, utilization review activities, discharge planning, and/or case management