At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
*Work Remote from Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Indiana*
*This remote position hasflexible starting times.
The Coder II, RHIT-MEDICAL RECORDS reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines, and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Performs a review of medical record documentation within CAC (computer assisted coding) or Epic to identify the appropriate principal diagnosis, CC's/MCC's, other secondary diagnoses and all appropriate procedures
- Frequently navigates Epic's Doc Review, Hospital Chart or Chart Review outside of CAC in order to report ICD-10 codes
- Utilizes 3M's encoder resources to ensure optimal coding accuracy.
- Optimizes CAC to ensure coding efficiency
- Carefully reads CDS documentation within CAC and contacts the CDS when clarification is necessary.
- Collaborates frequently, independently with few internal escalations with Clinical Documentation Specialists when there is a DRG mismatch or query opportunity to ensure clarity and accuracy of medical record documentation.
- Strong written communication skills that follows SBAR (Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation) technique.
- Collaborates with CDS on pre-bill holds since it represents potential reimbursement opportunity.
- Pays close attention to single CC/MCC MS-DRG's and contacts the CDS for clinical validation if not documented within CAC.
- Understands the type and degree of coding necessary when working mortality cases and understands drivers of SOI/ROM (severity of illness and risk of mortality).
- Codes high dollar and interims (30 day length of stay or more) which represent the highest acuity patients at NM.
- Assists OC's with review of DRG denials and writing appeals.
- Articulates rationale for coding selections when necessary, i.e. data quality audit.
- Maintains diagnosis, procedure, DRG and overall accuracy within department standard of 95% or better.
- Maintains productivity standard within department standard of 90% or better.
- 3 years of inpatient coding experience in an acute healthcare setting
- RHIA, RHIT or CCS credential
- AHIMA membership
- Associate's degree in related field
- RHIA, RHIT with CCS credential
- 3 years of inpatient coding experience in a teaching hospital
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.