Nextgov/FCW, an award-winning digital publication of GovExec, leads the way in reporting on how information technology advances are transforming how government agencies serve citizens and perform vital functions. GovExec is the premier publisher in the federal government market. In addition to Government Executive and Nextgov/FCW, its publications include Defense One, Route Fifty, and Washington Technology, all of which hold market-leading positions and have rapidly growing audiences.
Nextgov/FCW seeks a Cybersecurity Reporter to provide coverage of the federal government’s role in cybersecurity, from new White House policies to Homeland Security programs to Defense Department cyber missions, as well as reporting from Congress and industry. You will develop sources within federal agencies and policymakers’ offices, inside key congressional committees, and private sector companies. We’re looking for a talented, sharp, driven reporter who can track important stories and explain them to our audience. The position requires some travel. You must be based in the Washington, D.C., area for in-person reporting at federal agencies, on Capitol Hill, and at area events. Our editorial team usually works remotely, but in-office workspace is available for those who prefer it.
- Writing breaking news stories and enterprise features
- Developing key sources and leveraging them to produce original reporting
- Moderating panel discussions and one-on-one interviews at company events
- Contributing to eBooks, special reports, podcasts, and other editorial projects
- 4+ years of relevant experience
- Experience covering cybersecurity issues, technology issues, or federal government
- Familiarity with the legislative process
- Strong writing and analytical skills and high attention to detail
- Ability to quickly digest complicated information and produce stories on deadline
GovExec’s data and insights set the standard for depth, accuracy, and impact for government leaders and contractors. As the market-leading information and intent-based marketing platform, for over fifty years GovExec has empowered the government ecosystem to engage and support government leaders as they work to achieve their missions across federal, defense, and state and local agencies. Our strategic sales enablement and intent-based marketing solutions accelerate revenue growth to fuel market success. The platform is powered by the largest and most sophisticated database in the public sector, GovExec’s platform reaches 3.3 million government influencers each month and provides its marketing clients with a significant competitive advantage in driving higher conversion and growth.
Working at GovExec
At GovExec, we believe that a new era of work -- particularly when, where, and how it gets done -- has arrived. We are building a hybrid workplace that allows for greater freedom and flexibility while also fostering a collaborative culture, no matter where you are working. GovExec offers permanent remote work in 20+ states across the US, as well as the option to work out of one of our offices based in Washington DC, New York or San Diego. GovExec also offers a range of great benefits including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Open time off policy
- Twelve weeks paid parental leave
- Supportive, collaborative teams
- Unique opportunity to help government officials from a private sector company
- Expansive learning and development opportunities
GovExec recruits talent for four salient attributes or qualities:
- Soul of Entrepreneurship
- Culture of Inclusion
- Force of Ideas
- Spirit of Generosity
The compensation range for this role is $60,000 to $80,000.
Government Executive Media Group, Inc. and its affiliates ("GovExec") are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by applicable law.