Community engagement is a key priority for the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS). The Director of Community Relations is a highly visible position that will lead the department’s community engagement efforts. In this position you will support, develop, and facilitate relationships between DHS and communities across Minnesota whether urban, suburban, or rural. You will advise leadership and represent and act on behalf of the Commissioner in matters related to DHS’ work with communities.
It will be crucial for the person in this position to be able to build positive relationships with community members and to act as a strong voice to continue to push leadership to engage communities throughout the state. You will work to keep leadership informed about and grounded in the lived experience of the people DHS serves.
- Develop innovative ways to ensure that DHS staff and leadership are actively and regularly engaging community members and the people DHS serves to work in partnership and hear their concerns regarding DHS activities.
- Develop strategies to ensure that best practices for community engagement are employed throughout the department.
- Represent the agency at meetings with key stakeholders, organizations, and other groups so that DHS has a presence with stakeholders and so that external groups are aware of DHS activities and DHS leadership is kept well- informed about current issues and concerns.
- Foster and maintain collaborative relationships with the Department of Human Services’ community partners and stakeholders.
- 3 years of advanced professional experience managing programs related to human services, social services, or health disparities
- Experience must demonstrate:
- Management of staff
- Knowledge of government organizations, structures, functions, and relationships
- Demonstrated understanding of equity and the social determinants of health
- Ability to form and sustain collaborative and effective working relationships with a wide variety of individuals, community groups, and organizations to work towards a common goal
- Respectful of and sensitive to cultural differences that are encountered while interacting with co-workers and in serving Minnesota’s diverse communities
- Ability to organize, develop, and execute work plans in a timely and accountable manner