GovExec wins awards and media praise for its digital innovation, and we want you to help us continue performing at the highest level. We're looking for a director of software engineering to lead our tech team and help us build amazing digital products. You will manage a team that is building the future of our web sites, content management system, virtual events platform, audience database, and other products and technologies.
In this role, you will help us develop our architecture, grow the team, and hone our processes to take on various growth projects. We are growing quickly and as a result have many exciting opportunities for expanding and consolidating our tech stack.
- Manage our software engineering team through the software development life cycle.
- Hire, manage, and mentor engineers; including coaching junior developers, encouraging collaboration and fostering career growth.
- Collaborate with product managers to vet and manage tech vendors and outsourcing partners.
- Work closely with product managers and your team to prioritize stories, create estimations, schedules prints, and keep them on track.
- Collaborate with other teams to plan, communicate, and execute efficient releases of projects.
- Work with the Product team to improve our Agile ceremonies and build process improvements.
- 3+ years of management experience that includes;
- Writing performance reviews, coaching, and running daily operations
- Proven record setting and hitting KPIs for a development team
- Experience in a Django/Python environment required.
- Business applications such as CMS, audience database, and web applications.
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Comfortable managing multiple products simultaneously and allocating resources appropriately.
- Knowledge of cybersecurity best practices.
We have built and support three Django projects. The first and largest is our CMS and the websites it supports with Percona (MySQL) as the database backend. Next is the audience database for managing email newsletters and other tools, which is backed by a PostgreSQL database. Finally, our newest platform is called Virtuoso, a digital events platform unveiled earlier this year. It is also built in Django and backed by PostgreSQL.
Our hosting is through Azure. The first two applications (the CMS and audience database) are hosted on Linux virtual machines. We use NGINX for load balancing and for serving static files and uWSGI for the Django applications themselves. Moving forward, we are using Docker with Azure’s App Services to host the applications. We are migrating the older applications to this approach and migrating to using GitHub Actions for all automated deployments, unit tests, and linting.
We also have several iOS apps, built using Swift, and a single Android app.
GovExec’s data and insights set the standard for depth, accuracy, and impact for government leaders and contractors. As the market-leading information and intent-based marketing platform, for over fifty years GovExec has empowered the government ecosystem to engage and support government leaders as they work to achieve their missions across federal, defense, and state and local agencies. Our strategic sales enablement and intent-based marketing solutions accelerate revenue growth to fuel market success. The platform is powered by the largest and most sophisticated database in the public sector, GovExec’s platform reaches 3.3 million government influencers each month and provides its marketing clients with a significant competitive advantage in driving higher conversion and growth.
Working at GovExec
At GovExec, we believe that a new era of work -- particularly when, where, and how it gets done -- has arrived. We are building a hybrid workplace that allows for greater freedom and flexibility while also fostering a collaborative culture, no matter where you are working. GovExec offers permanent remote work in 20+ states across the US, as well as the option to work out of one of our offices based in Washington DC, New York or San Diego. GovExec also offers a range of great benefits including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Open time off policy
- Twelve weeks paid parental leave
- Supportive, collaborative teams
- Unique opportunity to help government officials from a private sector company
- Expansive learning and development opportunities
GovExec recruits talent for four salient attributes or qualities:
- Soul of Entrepreneurship
- Culture of Inclusion
- Force of Ideas
- Spirit of Generosity
Government Executive Media Group, Inc. and its affiliates ("GovExec") are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by applicable law.