Transport raw materials, work in process and finished goods between various types of establishments such as: manufacturing plants, freight depots, warehouses using company tractor with a pintle hook or fifth wheel. Must recognize and be able to make minor mechanical repairs needed to keep truck in good working order. Complete vehicle circle checks and pre/post inspections on every trip.
- Must possess a valid CDL.
- Must meet all licensing requirements to obtain/maintain required licenses, endorsements, or permits required based on the position specific information identified above.
- Thorough knowledge of how to operate vehicles that are larger and have heavier loads to secure and control; have air brakes and are more susceptible to sliding and tipping; and are difficult to maneuver, especially when turning and backing.
- Skill and knowledge to operate these vehicles over a variety of roads including interstate highways, narrow country roads, and on steep winding grades.
- Knowledge about which routes may be legally driven and the overpass clearances and other restrictions on such routes based on weight limits.
- Knowledge of State and local safety rules and regulations, and the rules of other jurisdictions for operating vehicles.
- Knowledge and skill to load cargo properly onto the vehicle, using appropriate tie-downs such as chains, binders, or straps for transit on public roads at highway speeds or under similar driving circumstances.
- Knowledge of the operator's manual for their assigned vehicle and skill to apply such knowledge to particular driving situations.
- Ability to recognize developing maintenance problems when conducting an operator's inspection of their assigned vehicles, and to report technical problems to the supervisor.