Leads large-scale and complex program(s), often involving multiple internal and external stakeholders and teams in a matrix environment. Aligns program goals and success measures to meet the organization's objectives. Partners with key Program Stakeholders to execute on the Program roadmap. Applies analytical skills and subject matter knowledge to identify cross- functional dependencies and program trends. Ensures projects within the program are delivered on time, within budget, adhere to high quality standards and meet customer expectations. Ensure that BCBSA program and project management processes are adhered to. Follows good documentation practices including producing and managing formal artifacts.
- Planning and Defining Scope
- Program Management
- Program/Project Reporting
- Activity Planning and Sequencing
- Resource Planning and Management
- Developing Schedules
- Time Estimating
- Cost Estimating
- Analyzing and Reporting on project Budget
- Manage project/program financials and report out periodically up to $20M (program oversight)
- Takes a long term view consistent with business strategy and success criteria, leading others to incorporate strategic intents, planning, and quality management into the full range of the organizations activities
- Works directly with senior BCBSA leaders and Plan leaders and has close working relationship with IT peer group
- Presents to senior management
- Has daily contact with the business and IT leaders
- Has contact with outside vendors, contractors/consultants and industry trade groups
- Manages resources from vendors on multi-faceted projects
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages program scope, schedules, risks, issues, changes, dependencies, program operations, and progress against success measures. Identifies business goals and the required measurable success criteria to accomplish the goals, establishes course of action, and defines project tasks.
- Effectively leads governance /meetings to represent the program to all levels of BCBSA stakeholders. Tailors the communication style to the needs of the audience type i.e. senior executives, project teams and other stakeholders. Communicates business and technical risks/issues concisely and clearly. Ensures project managers follow EPMO change management processes and guidelines. Understand and communicates the impacts and risks of the change to program stakeholders. Responsible for documenting all agreements, action items with assigned owners, due dates and working with the necessary project managers to complete open action items. Manages dependencies across all projects and integrates them towards a common goal.
- Work with business owners to understand roadmaps and budgets along with conducting analysis on the entire grouping of project code financials. Provides information to management and project stakeholders by assembling and summarizing data. Analyzing trends to provide recommendations to improve the program performance.
- Performs analysis of financial information for the program to provide insight into the financial position and trends. Improves financial health by analyzing results, variances and recommending corrective actions.
- Assists in the development of the program budget, as needed, by partnering with key BCBSA stakeholders, ensuring accountabilities are met for EPMO.
- Responsible for managing large sized projects of high complexity that meets business goals and objectives, leveraging effective decision making and resolution of escalated issues. Directly manage all aspects of the project lifecycle through EPMO defined project management processes.
- Responsible for identifying project scope, creating and tracking project schedule and adjusting project plans and/or resources to meet the needs of customers. Provides oversight of project change control and escalation. Facilitates risk evaluation and development of mitigation plans to meet project objectives. Acts as the customer's primary point of contact for the project. Leads and manages project meetings, documenting action items and tracking follow up.
- Ensure stakeholders receive the necessary information to make sound decisions and trade-offs between scope, cost, and schedule. Rigorously manages scope to ensure commitments are achieved within agreed parameters. Effectively manages vendor deliverables (as warranted by project). Manages project reporting and transparency of project status for schedule, budget, risks, and issues.
- Assesses the physical, financial, and human capital resources to meet project deliverables, considering budget and risk implications. Recommends and works corrective action implementation with functional managers. Provides monthly financial health assessment and coordinates Project forecasts.
- Drives teams at the program and project level. Possesses a strong understanding of issues. risks and program trends with the ability to motivate and direct teams to quickly takes appropriate actions.
- Displays the courage to hold stakeholders at all levels accountable for commitments and actions related to program activities.
- Tailors communication approach to the level and needs of each stakeholder. Can clearly articulate escalation needs, support and timing required from senior leaders.
- Possesses strong meeting facilitation skills to effectively drive discussion across all levels of the organization. Leads by example and is responsible for establishing and maintaining team norms, fostering positive and productive working relationships to maximize the contribution of each team member.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or equivalent work
- Minimum of 8+ years of Project Management experience, including 3or more years managing Programs or multiple large scale enterprise-wide projects
- Experience in similar work environment
- Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional/matrix teams in the successful completion of assigned deliverables
- Familiarity with different project management methodologies i.e. waterfall, hybrid and agile
- Knowledge and expertise in the use of Project Management tools and change management techniques
- Knowledge and expertise in managing software development projects
- BCBS or health insurance industry background, understanding of health insurance concepts
- Strong team-oriented interpersonal skills
- Superior analytical skills to support quality decision making in support of the program/projects
- Demonstrated political and interpersonal savvy
- Outstanding communications skills, ability to effectively present concepts and issues for both business and technical audiences
- Manages conflicts by reading situations quickly, identifying potential solutions and gaining cooperation with minimal disruption
- The ability to establish and maintain high-level customer trust and confidence
- Demonstrated development and maintenance of business relationships
- Experience in directing and mentoring project managers
Preferred Basic Qualifications:
- PMP Certification (or comparable equivalent)
- Agile - CSM, SAFe
Equal Opportunity Employer
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics