At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The ER Tech reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Collects urine, stool and sputum specimens.
- Performs laboratory tests including phlebotomy, accucheck glucose test, urine pregnancy test, rapid strep test, specific gravity test and blood glucose test.
- Obtains and records vital signs.
- Performs 12 lead EKG's; recognizes basic arrhythmias, admits and discharges patients from the cardiac monitoring system.
- Irrigates wounds, applies dressings, bandages and splints.
- Assists with patient ambulation and positioning; assists with comfort activities and feeding patients as needed.
- Assists RN or physician with exams and minor procedures.
- Responds to emergencies seeking appropriate personnel for specific interventions.
- Administers simple oxygen masks or nasal cannulas.
- Primes IV bags and tubing; disconnects IV or Heplock.
- Transports patients to and from radiology for diagnostic testing.
- Transports blood and blood components to the laboratory.
- Assists with patient admissions, discharges and transfers; transports patients, belongings and equipment.
- Assists with post mortem care.
- Contacts various departments, other healthcare facilities and physician offices for diagnostic testing and results.
- Enters order into the computer system.
- Maintains ER log book and statistics.
- Maintains ER charts, updating as information becomes available.
- Updates on call physician schedules for the emergency department.
- Ensures appropriate supplies are maintained in the storeroom; places routine and special orders as needed.
EOE Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- CNA or EMT-B.
- CPR through American Heart Association.
- One to three years of experience.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.