This high energy, focused, and execution-oriented leader will be seen as a delivery partner of excellence for the critical business goals they support through enterprise portfolio management. A primary focus of their work is our Business Operations and Technology teams, which deliver the BCBSA operational and technology solutions that serve our 35 independent Plans and our FEHBP line of business, providing quality healthcare to a combined 100M+ members. This leader will inspire trust, foster collaboration, and drive quality work by empowering and enabling business partners and delivery teams. This leader also will introduce critical thinking and creative problem solving to a variety of high priority organizational goals that will help shape healthcare delivery for millions of Blue Cross Blue Shield patients and providers across the country. Finally, this leader will be a key contributor to BCBSA's ambitious technology modernization agenda, spanning dozens of transformative efforts in cloud, data, cyber security, and business operations over the coming decade.
The leader of enterprise portfolio management will be a catalyst for program management growth and maturation in six key areas: 1) PMO organizational leadership for our 30+ member team; 2) Defining and fostering the PMO mission; 3) Establishing and directing PMO governance; 4) Creating a culture of delivery, grounded in goal setting, flexibility, prioritization, and continuous improvement; 5) Incubating leadership and execution skills of project management practitioners; and 6) Managing change. The leader of the PMO also will play the lead role in managing and ensuring the successful execution of key organizational programs, projects, and initiatives. This encompasses leading a team of program and project professionals to drive project definition and execution, including the development and scaling of tools, methodologies, and leading practices for delivery and operations. They will work closely with our project and solution delivery teams to drive operational transparency, accountability, and rigor, facilitating the development and delivery of outstanding platforms and programs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with executive leadership across business lines to tie strategy to roadmap activities and to help ensure the roadmap is proactively managed and executed.
- Partner with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to clearly define and prioritize projects, as well as to enable informed, transparent, and quality decision-making around progress, risks, delivery options, and trade-offs so that business goals can be met.
- Build a creative, innovative, and agile project management organization that partners with business leaders to successfully execute key organizational programs, projects, and initiatives across functions, including delivery of timely and meaningful progress reporting.
- Build delivery capacity by driving structural and operational maturity around processes, tools, customer service principles, and communications integrity.
- Attract, manage, develop, and retain a highly talented project management team that is empowered and inspired to deliver quality projects across broad portfolios and an evolving mix of stakeholders.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree
- 10+ years relevant work experience in program management
- 5+ years experience hiring, training, mentoring, and managing a project management team of 20 or more members
- 5+ years experience managing a large portfolio of projects (over 100 projects exceeding$50M of annual investment)
- Proven ability to communicate both technical concepts and business impact from team members to executive leadership in a manner that is readily understood and actionable
- Proven ability to evaluate and successfully introduce (or enhance) project management principles, tools, methodologies, processes, and operating frameworks
- Proven ability to manage budgets and resource allocation
- Proven ability to facilitate quality decision-making among organization executives and other project stakeholders
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills. In particular, a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions to multiple organizational levels internally and externally as needed to support the strategic goals
- Proven commitment to transparency
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a complex organization where the ability to discover and internalize diverse stakeholder goals is critical to brokering solutions that are in the best interest of the Blues ecosystem as a whole
- Independent judgment and mature decision-making skills to deal with programs that often have enterprise-wide scope and may have significant financial and compliance impacts
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and organizational skills as well as the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities, assignments, and roles
Preferred Basic Qualifications:
- Masters Degree
- Experience in application development, quality assurance testing, or operational support
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Lean principles and practices
- Experience with SDLC principles and practices
- Experience in change management principles and practices
- Deep experience in managing complex programs delivered by geographically distributed teams
- Deep experience in managing professional services contracts and relationships to help deliver quality and cost-effective projects and programs
- Project Management Professional (PMP®) certification is strongly preferred
- PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP®), Certified ScrumMaster (CSM),Scaled Agile Framework Program Consultant (SAFe SPC), Certified Stanford Advanced Senior Program Manager (SAPM), and/or Lean Six Sigma certifications also preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics