The Food Service Worker I performs a variety of functions and tasks pertinent to the production, service, sanitation, and distribution of food to patients, sisters and employees. A Food Service Worker may work in various areas of the department such as patient tray line, nourishment room stocking, dish room, pots and pans, sanitation and storeroom. Performing these duties under some to limited supervision. 6 Months experience in healthcare, restaurant or hotel hospitality required.
Back of the house support:
- Collects and delivers dishware from the required locations.
- Cleans soiled pots by washing them using the guidelines outlined by the health department; cleans and sanitizes all eating, serving utensils and trays (3 Tier sink: wash, rinse, sanitize or mechanical dish machine).
- Returns sanitized items to designated areas.
- Assist in transporting all food to and from each kitchen.
- Takes all garbage out, breaks down card board and places in appropriate receptacles.
- Assembles tray line with prepared food and beverages using established guide lines and procedures.
- Assembles patient's trays according to patient meal ticket.
- Delivers and retrieves prepared meal carts/patient trays each nursing units.
- Retrieving, clearing and cleaning of utility carts from floors.
- Maintains and rotates appropriate stock in the work area.
- Cleans and sanitizes patient meal service wares using mechanical dish machine.
- Prepares nourishments (daily patient snacks) per procedure and delivers to unit pantries.
- Takes inventory of items in tray line stock area and coolers (new kitchen). Completes inventory request form, retrieves inventory from main kitchen (old kitchen) and returns items, placing on items on the shelves including rotation of stock, dating and labeling.
- Gathers items and prepares floor stock request for nourishment rooms and physician lounge supplies per stocking day schedule. Refilling only quantities needed and recording quantity of items supplied in each unit (6 units).
- Removes previous day's perishable floor stock supply and replaces with fresh supplies as needed.
- Cleans and sanitizes equipment in designated work area. Follows established posted cleaning schedule; daily, weekly, and monthly.
- Records all required sanitation documents to include by not limited to food temperature log; cooler, freezer and pantry temperature logs; 3 tier sink sanitation water, dish machine temperature logs as required.
- Daily rotation of stock, dating and labeling of prepared food items.
- Other daily sanitation as outline per designated area, per department policy.
- High School or Equivalent (GED) required; or In lieu of high school diploma must have 1 to 3 years' of food service experience in a cafeteria, health care, restaurant, hotel or hospitality setting, preferable in tray line or dish/pots position.
- 6 months healthcare, restaurant, hotel or hospitality food service required
- Serve Safe Food Handlers certificate required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities required:
- Capable of dealing effectively with supervisory and non-supervisory personnel as well as patients and visitors.
- Must stay current of recent changes in department policies and techniques in food service through meetings with department managers and department policy manuals.
- Knowledgeable of HACCP procedures.
- Ability to read and understand written and oral instructions in order to follow directions for tasks assigned.
- Hand and eye coordination necessary as well as agility and quickness.
- Basic knowledge of computer and internet.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team setting.
- Ability to interface well with staff and visitors is required.
- Excellent customer service focus is required.
- Ability to work well under stress is required.