At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
**This is a Full Time position at 40hrs per week located at Lake Forest Hospital. The schedule is Monday through Friday, roughly 8a-4:30p. One day during week will be required to travel to Grayslake or Glenview. Seeking candidates whom obtained IL Licensure.**
The Genetic Counselor reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Analyze genetic information to identify patients or families at risk for specific disorders or syndromes.
- Explain diagnostic procedures such as chorionic villus sampling (CVS), ultrasound, fetal blood sampling, and amniocentesis.
- Provide genetic counseling in specified areas of clinical genetics such as obstetrics, pediatrics, oncology and neurology.
- Assess patients' psychological or emotional needs such as those relating to stress, fear of test results, financial issues, and marital conflicts to make referral recommendations or assist patients in managing test outcomes.
- Provide counseling to patient and family members by providing information, education, or reassurance.
- Determine or coordinate treatment plans by requesting laboratory services, reviewing genetics or counseling literature, and considering histories or diagnostic data.
- Discuss testing options and the associated risks, benefits and limitations with patients and families to assist them in making informed decisions.
- Interpret laboratory results and communicate findings to patients or physicians.
- Interview patients or review medical records to obtain comprehensive patient or family medical histories, and document findings. #INDN#LI-RW1
- Genetic Counselor, Licensed.
- Zero (0) to two (2) years experience in a relevant role.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.