At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The HIM Release of Information Customer Service Rep reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The HIM Release of Information Customer Service Rep participates in a team effort to retrieve and maintain medical records on demand, safeguards and protects patient's rights to privacy by ensuring that only authorized individuals have access to the patient's information, and maintains consistent production and workflows for various functional areas within the HIM department at NM. This position contributes to all respective area work queues; ensures accuracy in providing customers with the highest quality customer service; and revieRews authorizations for legitimacy, authenticity, and completeness prior to releasing information to the requestor. This position is a direct representation of the Release of Information department, as well as the in-person representation of NM's Patient's First Mission.
- Interacts with NMHC physicians, clinicians, support staff, patients, and third parties to identify medical records needed for patient care, review, billing, or other valid purposes;
- Competently accesses and utilizes all electronic health record systems necessary to process requests;
- Maintains thorough knowledge of Illinois state statutes, HIPAA privacy rules, release of information procedures, and uses keen judgment in releasing PHI to requestors;
- Accurately enters all requests to be logged into appropriate tracking systems timely;
- Participates in the implementation of department-specific and performance improvement projects, and actively contributes to overall department goals;
- Maintains a productive and quality daily workflow based on annual goal/performance plan, appropriately prioritizes requests, and recognizes potential barriers affecting productivity;
- Escalates potential barriers related to work activity to Operations Coordinators with critically thought-out solutions prepared in advance;
- Responds to release of information requestors in a prompt, conscientious, respectful, and professional manner;
- Consistently monitors all assigned communication methods daily (i.e.: emails, voicemails, Skype, and MS teams meetings);
- Completes all other duties as assigned
- Fulfills daily call center processing interactions;
- Able to complete all call center processing, and imaging procedures and workflows;
- Completes and responds to release of information requests needed for patients and continuity of care purposes (or other requests as assigned);
- Able to scan-in any type of request received;
- Provides back-up to the HIM ROI Patient Facing or HIM ROI Imaging representatives (when needed);
- Recognizes that this position is a direct representation of the Release of Information department, as well as the verbal representation of NM's Patient's First mission.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with release of information within HIM, or 4 years of experience in a healthcare customer service role
- Competent use of all Microsoft Office applications
- Strong customer service skills
- Detail-oriented, able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, and has excellent oral and written communication skills
- RHIA/RHIT credentialed
- Previous experience with Epic
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.