The Internal Controls Manager is positioned to assist the Risk and Compliance Department in strengthening and monitoring a company-wide risk management and governance framework. The position will assist in ensuring that effective processes and controls are in place company-wide to help mitigate risks, facilitate risk and compliance remediation, identify control failures or weaknesses, and assist the Company with operating in compliance with its policies and regulatory requirements. The position will manage, and track identified issues, often coordinating across departments to facilitate completion. Finally, this role will assist in coordinating the annual SOC 1 audit, including informational requests.
- Responsible for managing the day-to-day activities of the Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) Program. The RCSA program ensures controls are operating effectively to meet management, investor, and other stakeholder expectations.
- Prepare the annual control testing and refresh plan.
- Annually, meet with business leaders and other team members to assess the design of controls and identify new processes or risks through a control questionnaire.
- Identify major risks associated with financial reporting processes and qualitatively measure those risks.
- Monthly, coordinate RCSA testing and perform detailed secondary reviews of the testing results to ensure controls are operating effectively.
- Collaborate with business leaders to develop formal action plans to resolve identified control gaps and make recommendations for improvement.
- Assist in the preparation and/or annual review of Company policies and procedures as outlined in the USAA Real Estate Policy Governance Program.
- Assess controls over third-party applications by reviewing and assessing independent auditor reports (SOC Reports) with business leaders.
- Formally track and monitor all audit or assessment issues and action plan timelines, and work with business leaders to achieve desired results.
- Perform travel and expense audits, or other audits, that may be assigned.
- Coordinate the documentation and testing of internal controls with the external auditors in connection with the annual SOC 1 audit.
- Prepare and present dashboards of RCSA activity and action plan timelines to the USAARE Risk Committee.
- Perform other essential duties as assigned.
At USAA Real Estate our employees enjoy generous benefits packages including comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401k, educational and professional designation assistance, business casual dress attire and much more! Qualified applicants must successfully complete a pre-employment background and drug screen. The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA Real Estate Company is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Females, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or a related business field.
- 6+ years of experience in an accounting, SOX, or audit role.
- Big Four Public Accounting experience a plus.
- CPA preferred.
- Experience documenting controls, policies, procedures, or processes.
- Strong problem-solving ability to provide recommendations for improvement to resolve control gaps.
- Audit, process improvement, or change management experience.
- Management experience collaborating with business leaders regarding internal controls and/or control gaps.
- Strong attention to detail and takes ownership of responsibilities.
- Skilled in prioritization, multitasking and managing deadlines.
- Capacity to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. without USAA Real Estate Company sponsorship.
- Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job title.