Modify and/or create applications, systems, vendor supplied utilities or packages from detailed specifications. Program software that improves efficiency of business operations, applications and/or operating systems. Code, review, prepare test data, test and debug application software, vendor-supplied utilities and packages and/or operating systems software. May maintain necessary program and/or user documentation.
- Coding: Independently develop code, test, debug, maintain, modify, and install complex software programs. Applies structured programming techniques and adheres to coding standards, although some deviation from the standards is expected for particularly complex development efforts. Use extensive knowledge of available utilities to simplify tasks. Participates in code walkthroughs.
- Testing: Develops unit test and test scripts; performs unit, regression, conversion and parallel tests; develops system test data and performs system tests. Coordinate and conduct system stress tests on software. Assists quality assurance testing teams with testing plans.
- Analysis/Design: Analyze complex technical requirements and make determinations for modifications of existing computer programs/modules or if new programs/modules need to be developed for a specific application, system, and/or database. Independently analyze and document test results to ensure that programs are meeting the technical requirements. Partner with designers to update technical requirements documentation and make recommendations for re-design and/or re-coding of programs that do meet desired specifications.
- Technical Support: Research and resolve complex programming issues and implement longer term solutions to frequently occurring issues.
- Documentation: Develop program specifications and flowcharts, (dataflows, jobflows, etc.), for stand-alone programs or systems. Prepare concise internal program documentation on program development and revisions. Prepare on-line help, FAQs, user guides and operational instruction manuals.
- Communication: Conveys problems, solutions, updates and project status to peers, customers and management. Develops and maintains program, systems and user documentation.
- Planning: Prepare time estimates for assigned tasks. Attends post-implementation reviews.
- Mentoring: Takes responsibility for personal technical and professional growth. Assists junior level developers with department procedures, environment, and tools, utilities and development standards and protocols.
- Performs other related duties and participates in special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor degree in discipline related to functional work or role with 5-7 years of relevant work experience OR demonstrated ability to meet the job requirements through a comparable number of years of applicable work experience.
- Must be able to demonstrate an excellent understanding of the information technology environment/infrastructure and be able to identify and resolve complex challenges associated with the work.
- Must be able to understand complex interrelated information needs across multiple information technology platforms.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of the full range of customer information/data management systems and related processes and protocols.
- Able to resolve the difficult and complex challenges associated with the work performed.
- Must be able to effectively analyze and solve the more difficult and complex work related problems by using past experience, research, and best practice information.
- Able to lead feasibility studies that produce useful recommendations.
- Requires excellent communication skills with ability to state messages in a clear manner by using language that is easy for others to understand.
Able to explain programs policies and procedures in language that is understood by others.
- Must be able to modify communication style both formal and informal to match the appropriate level of the audience targeted.
- Requires strong understanding of the impact of a message on the organization or customer.
- Able to write with the clarity and precision necessary for the work being performed.