At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Lab Technician reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Provides service to all clients (nursing, physician and doctor office staff) through computer registration, computer test order entry, specimen processing, referral and delivery of samples and supply orders.
- Also responsible for providing courier service for specimens, reports, and supplies.
- In conjunction with these functions, the Laboratory Technician provides customer service (laboratory test result information, specimen collection information) via phone and direct communication, distributes reports to physicians via mail and fax (as necessary).
- This position is also responsible for communication with clients regarding specimen problems, report problems, and computer problems that may affect their operation.
- The position is also required to participate in the laboratory occurrence management program.
- Accurate and efficient registration of patient demographics into the Hospital Information System.
- Accurate and efficient test order entry into the Laboratory Information System.
- Accurate use of the Laboratory Information System for the verification of sample receipt, result inquiry, and report printing.
- Accurate routing and distribution of laboratory reports to physician offices including faxing and retrieval of microfiche test results.
- Efficient processing of specimens not processed by the robotics lines.
- Efficient processing of research specimens for testing.
- Maintain files for easy retrieval of data including Outreach requisitions, courier logs, and problem logs.
- Assist with problem resolution regarding patient specimens.
- Provide prompt and courteous notification to clients regarding specimen problems including identification and collection issues.
- Answer and appropriately triage department phone calls.
- Provide efficient and timely courier service including STAT pickups, report and supply delivery.
- Consistently adhere to the courier route as scheduled.
- Record all information on logs consistently and legibly.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Foster department and laboratory teamwork through effective communication. Participate in Safety and Infection Control activities.
- Maintain supply stock and process client supply orders as assigned.
- Promptly notify management staff of supply shortages.
- Some assignments involve long periods of standing.
- Courier route service involves walking to physician offices outside of the hospital and clinic building.
- May be required to properly handle and dispose of hazardous materials.
- Personal protective equipment is provided by the laboratory and is worn in the department due to possible exposure to biohazardous material.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Computer experience-keyboard proficiency.
- Familiarity with medical terminology.
- 1 - 2 years college course work.
- Prior work experience in laboratory support or health related experience.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.