Working Title: MAINTENANCE MECHANIC - 72002212
Salary: $28,000 - $30,587
Posting Closing Date: 01/14/2019
This is a re-advertisement. Previous applicants are still being considered and need not re-apply.
Division of Real Estate Development and Management
State of Florida Department of Management Services
This position is located in Ft. Myers, Florida
The Florida Department of Management Services (DMS) is a customer-oriented agency responsible for managing various business-related functions throughout state government. Under the direction of Governor Rick Scott and DMS’ Executive Leadership Team, the agency oversees the real estate, procurement, human resources, group insurance, retirement, telecommunications, private prisons, and fleet and federal property assistance programs utilized throughout Florida’s state government. DMS is relied upon to establish, maintain and improve the business processes used by state employees to create a better, not bigger government. DMS facilitates the delivery of these programs and services and provides tools and training to bolster the efficiency and effectiveness of the state’s workforce. It is against this backdrop that DMS strives to demonstrate its motto, “We serve those who serve Florida.” Under the leadership of DMS Secretary Erin Rock, DMS’ employees embody four pillars on a daily basis: establishing a process-oriented mindset; challenging the status quo; creating efficiencies; and respecting state employees.
Incumbent filling this position will be required to perform a variety of maintenance functions, to the buildings and their heating and air conditioning systems. This requires a trained professional with mechanical, plumbing, and electrical experience as well as general maintenance background. Specific duties include routine minor mechanical maintenance and preventative maintenance to equipment in this building.
- Perform preventive maintenance on plumbing, electrical, heating, air conditioning and ventilating equipment.
- Visually inspect all equipment daily. Report any unusual wear or noise to supervisor that same day.
- All scheduled preventive maintenance, such as, oiling, greasing, filter changing, adjusting belts, etc. to be performed as scheduled.
- Responsible for performing all specified preventive maintenance task assigned each week, also is responsible for reporting all time and materials used on each work order.
- Keeps track of inventory parts on hand for all repairs and/or replacement. Requests parts on an as needed basis.
- Calibrate, adjust, and repair temperature devices.
- Required to fill out work orders for all calls and equipment repairs. Work orders are required for any maintenance activity performed on equipment other than scheduled maintenance.
- All scheduled and unscheduled work orders are to be filled out correctly and completely and turned in by the end of the week.
- Maintains mechanical rooms and equipment in immaculate condition.
- Perform minor bldg. repairs, including replacing ballasts and lamps; repairs and/or replaces locks and door closures; performs plumbing, pipe fitting, welding, and electrical repair and maintenance. Repairs and/or replaces toilet fixtures and lavatories. Repairs and replace faucets, faucet washers, etc.
- Working knowledge of Customer work Order System, Building Automation System and Building Evacuation processes.
- Position requires incumbent to have a complete understanding and working knowledge of all safety procedures and regulations.
- Adheres to safety awareness policies in the workplace, views safety videos when presented and attends required safety meetings. Practices lessons learned daily to avoid accidents.
- Maintains a good rapport with tenants, co-workers, & supervisors in buildings; keeps them informed of any unusual situations, and is available to answer questions and requests.
- Excellent public relations skills are required since this position is in continuous contact with both tenants and the public.
- It is required that courteous and respectful behavior is displayed at all times.
- A professional image is needed as this position represents the department to both the public and tenants.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of the skilled building trades or mechanical repair work.
- Knowledge of safety procedures required in maintenance and repair work.
- Skill in using tools and equipment in maintenance and repair work.
- Ability to perform a variety of skilled trades functions.
- Ability to read blueprints.
- Ability to install, maintain and repair electric motors, generators and other mechanical equipment.
- Ability to take accurate measurements.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Prolonged periods of time walking, standing, bending, climbing (ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles) and exerting up to 30 pounds of force frequently
- Integrity, Communication, Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Teamwork, Empowerment
- Two years of experience in the maintenance and repair of buildings, plumbing or electrical or mechanical equipment; or vocational/technical training in mechanical repair or one of the building trades can substitute at the rate of 720 classroom hours.
- Valid and applicable driver’s license.
- Ability to be on-call as needed.
- This position requires: prolonged periods of time walking, standing, bending, climbing (ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles) and exerting up to 30 pounds of force frequently.
DMS is committed to successfully recruiting and onboarding talented and skilled individuals into its workforce. We recognize the extensive training, experience and transferrable skills that veterans and individuals with disabilities bring to the workforce. Veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact our recruiter for guidance and answers to questions through the following provided email addresses.
An individual with a disability is qualified if he or she satisfies the skills, experience, and other job related requirements for a position and can perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must contact the DMS Human Resources (HR) Office at (850) 488-2707. DMS requests applicants notify HR in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
Successful completion of background screening will be required for this position. Additional background screening may be required by tenant agencies based on position assignments or access requirements.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: Fort Myers
Nearest Secondary Market: Cape Coral