Salary: Up to $28,437.76
Posting Closing Date: 08/18/2017
HVAC Section/Real Estate Development & Management
Midnight Shift 12:00 Midnight – 8:00 AM
State of Florida Department of Management Services
This position is located in Tallahassee
The Florida Department of Management Services (DMS) is a customer-oriented agency responsible for managing various business-related functions throughout state government. Under the direction of Governor Rick Scott and DMS’ Executive Leadership Team, the agency oversees the real estate, procurement, human resources, group insurance, retirement, telecommunications, private prisons, and fleet and federal property assistance programs utilized throughout Florida’s state government. The Department of Management Services is relied upon to establish, maintain and improve the business processes used by state employees to create a better, not bigger government. The Department of Management Services facilitates the delivery of these programs and services and provides tools and training to bolster the efficiency and effectiveness of the state’s workforce. It is against this backdrop that DMS strives to demonstrate its motto, “We serve those who serve Florida.” Under the leadership of DMS Secretary Erin Rock, DMS’ employees embody four pillars on a daily basis: establishing a process-oriented mindset; challenging the status quo; creating efficiencies; and respecting state employees.
This position is highly responsible work, performing a variety of maintenance and repair functions to the heating and air conditioning system in the Capitol Complex, and all other state facilities under the Department of Management Services, located in Leon County. Such duties and responsibilities require the incumbent to accomplish task related to refrigeration mechanics, plumbing and electrical items.
Incumbent must have good working knowledge and ability to operate all building heating ventilation and air conditioning (H.V.A.C.) systems including, high pressure steam boilers, hot water boilers and chillers.
- Incumbent works with Senior Refrigeration Mechanics and performs repairs that include but not limited to:
- Troubleshoot and repair all types of mechanical equipment.
- Perform repairs to chill water pumps.
- Replace large electrical motors on air handlers and pumps.
- Replace and repair parts on machinery which do not function properly.
- Annual tear down and inspection of boiler equipment.
- Visibly checks machinery fuel and water qualities before firing boiler.
- Bring steam pressure up to operating levels gradually so no damage will be caused to boiler or steam lines.
- In the event of computer failure which operates the starting and stopping of the chillers, air handlers and vent fans.
- Incumbent must be able to start to stop the equipment manually.
- Take and log gauge readings on boilers and chillers as scheduled to insure equipment is operating correctly.
Recordkeeping of Preventative Maintenance History:
- Incumbent maintains up-to-date records including preventive maintenance cards and machine history records on the air compressors, air handling units, steam and hot water boilers, chillers, exhaust fans, supply fans, expansion tanks, hot water heaters package A/C units, pumps, split systems, furnaces and other related equipment.
- Boiler & Chiller Watch
- Incumbent stands watches on the high pressure steam boilers and chillers when required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of mechanical system operation, troubleshooting and repair i.e. chillers, boilers ahu’s, variable frequency drives, variable air volume systems, pumps and motors.
- Knowledge and operation of computer applications i.e. Windows 7 operating system, Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to operate, troubleshoot and repair mechanical systems i.e. chillers, boilers ahu’s, variable frequency drives, variable air volume systems, pumps and motors.
- Ability to properly operate a computer utilizing the latest operating system and perform work related computer tasks.
- Knowledge of HVAC mechanical system operation.
- Ability to climb ladders in excess of ten feet in height.
- Ability to properly operate a vehicle.
- Ability to lift, carry and/or move weight in excess of 100 pounds.
- Must have a valid and applicable driver’s license.
The Department of Management Services is committed to increasing recruitment and hiring of individuals with disabilities and improving employment outcomes.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must contact the DMS Human Resources (HR) Office at (850) 488-2707. DMS requests applicants notify HR in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
DMS appreciates the service and sacrifices made by veterans and their family members. Further, DMS recognizes the immeasurable value veterans bring to the workplace and is committed to increasing the number of veterans that serve in its workforce.
Successful completion of background screening will be required for this position.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: Tallahassee