Develops policy recommendations that further the BCBS mission and drive solutions to better support the over 115 million Americans BCBS Plans cover. Identifies and analyzes proposed regulatory and legislative initiatives at the federal and state level which present significant implications to BCBS Plans' members and clients. Identifies policy questions, advances meaningful policy solutions, and builds consensus with BCBS Plans and stakeholder allies on high-profile issues. Prepares formal comments regarding recommended policies and communicates key updates from BCBSA and federal/state policymakers to BCBS Plans. Works closely with BCBSA leadership to develop strategy around regulatory and legislative priorities for engagement with the White House, Administration, Congress and other key stakeholders in Washington.
Primary Job Functions:
- Supports the development of effective, consensus-based policy recommendations to promote BCBSA and BCBS Plan objectives at both state and federal levels. Manages the review of legislation and regulations to identify and provide feedback to policymakers and staff on strategic and business considerations. Develops advocacy documents to support these activities, including key messaging, one-pagers, and briefing materials. Provides policy support for coalitions, third-party inquiries and internal business partners on select focus areas. Brings forward new ideas and strategic thinking to promote BCBSA priorities and objectives.
- Manages projects within assigned regulatory and legislative focus areas, including the identification of key business issues, legislative or regulatory analysis. Develops comment letters and resources for policymakers and educational materials for BCBS Plans.
- Leads workgroup calls on focus areas. Identifies and communicates key regulatory and legislative activities to internal audiences, BCBS Plans and other external audiences. Participates in and contributes to cross-departmental and cross-divisional meetings and workgroups to provide political and policy insights.
- Maintains acute awareness of legislative and regulatory positions, priorities, strategies, federal policymaking activities, external stakeholder positioning, and health care issues. Provides policy support to State Affairs team and work with state-based organizations (SBOs). Takes on various health policy projects as assigned.
- Ensures senior management, senior leadership team and BCBS Plan representatives are informed as to pertinent legislative and regulatory developments.
- Collaborates with BCBS Plan representatives, other Policy and Advocacy staff and broader BCBSA staff. Engages with external stakeholders including federal policymakers and third-party representatives as appropriate.
- Policy focus areas include but are not limited to value-based care; improving affordability; prescription drugs and cell & gene therapies; pharmacy benefits for commercial, Medicare Part D and Medicaid LOB; pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) issues; and health plan accreditation.
Education and Experience:
- Required: Bachelors Degree in Political Science, Public or Health Policy, Business or Public Administration
- Preferred: Masters Degree Master's degree in Health Policy, Public Policy, Health Administration, Public Heath or relevant subject.
Required: Five or more years of equivalent work experience.
- Experience researching and synthesizing health care policies and programs including the ability to do detailed qualitative analysis.
- Experience working with public officials or in government
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of health care systems and understanding of legislative and policymaking process.
- Good communications skills; the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Strong human relations skills and the ability to work with others in obtaining feedback/input, accomplishing goals, and meeting deadlines
- Comprehensive understanding of health policy issues and the legislative process, as well as experience with policy writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships and influence outcomes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to identify issues and develop appropriate advocacy recommendations
- Ability to manage time and competing priorities
- Budget Responsibility: No
- Revenue Responsibility: No
- Travel Requirements: up to 10%