Now Hiring at Brookfield Zoo -open 365 days a year! $12.50 per hour. The Chicago Zoological Society is a private, non-profit organization that operates Brookfield Zoo. Join an animal welfare and conservation leader! Employees receive Paid Training opportunities, Free Admission to the Zoo, and Discounts on Food and Merchandise!
Each year we hire numerous Merchandise Associates to work in one of our several gift shops, and merchandise locations within the park. We are seeking to fill seasonal/temporary positions with start dates as early as February and working through December.
The Merchandise Associate contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society by providing a high level of quality customer service, quickly and efficiently accommodating guests’ needs, maximizing merchandise sales, and ensuring all transactions are accurate in support of the Society’s financial goals and to provide an exceptional guest experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide assistance and directions to guests and co-workers. Assist guests by initiating contact and being friendly, efficient, professional, and knowledgeable about the merchandise. Greet and welcome guests entering the shop and thank them for supporting the Society when they leave.
- Operate cash register accurately and efficiently for all transactions. Accountable for counting and balancing cash drawer at end of work day. Responsible for completion of daily cash sheets and location records.
- Participate in the daily operations of the merchandise location, including but not limited to cleaning, stocking, pricing, and display work. Responsible for taking accurate inventories.
- Follow and ensure all applicable institutional policies, procedures, and departmental protocols are followed.
- Communicate to supervisors any needs, concerns, or suggestions involving merchandise operations.
Other related duties as assigned.
This position includes the following requirements:
- Must be able to quickly learn how to use a cash register accurately and efficiently.
- Accurate basic math skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines required. Ability to interact with others in a friendly, courteous and helpful fashion required.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience.
The preferred qualifications:
- High School graduate or (GED) equivalent preferred.
- Some experience serving guests or customers desired.
- Multilingual ability, Spanish fluency a plus.