At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Nurse Extern/PCT reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
This position performs a variety of clinical/patient care related functions, under the direction of the clinical RN or physician that provide support to patients and staff, including but not limited to the following:
- Collects urine, stool and sputum specimens.
- Performs laboratory tests including phlebotomy, accucheck glucose test, urine pregnancy test, rapid strep test, specific gravity test and blood glucose test.
- Obtains and records vital signs.
- Performs 12 lead EKG's; recognizes basic arrhythmias, admits and discharges patients from the cardiac monitoring system.
- Irrigates wounds, applies dressings, bandages and splints.
- Assists with patient ambulation and positioning; assists with comfort activities and feeding patients as needed.
- Performs purposeful hourly patient rounding in collaboration with the clinical RN.
- Assists RN or physician with exams and minor procedures.
- Responds to emergencies seeking appropriate personnel for specific interventions.
- Administers simple oxygen masks or nasal cannulas.
- Primes IV bags and tubing; disconnects IV or Heplock.
- Transports patients to and from radiology for diagnostic testing.
- Transports blood and blood components to the laboratory.
- Assists with patient admissions, discharges and transfers; transports patients, belongings and equipment.
- Assists with post mortem care.
- Contacts various departments, other healthcare facilities and physician offices for diagnostic testing and results.
- Enters order into the computer system.
- Maintains ER log book and statistics.
- Maintains ER charts, updating as information becomes available.
- Updates on call physician schedules for the emergency department.
- Ensures appropriate supplies are maintained in the storeroom; places routine and special orders as needed.
- Perform emergency department care technician functions per scope of training
Additional responsibilities under the supervision of a registered nurse:
- Perform IV insertion with 1:1 RN supervision through entire procedure
- Perform wound care with 1:1 RN supervision through entire procedure
- Insert Foley catheters with 1:1 RN supervision through entire procedure
- Perform nursing care interventions under the direct supervision of the RN throughout the entire procedure
Additional responsibilities under direction of department leadership include but not limited to:
- Answers, screens and directs incoming calls.
- Facilitates obtaining a hard copy of the patients advance directive if patient indicated he/she has one and places in Electronic Medical Record.
- Manages admissions through Electronic Bed Board
- Assures patient care unit readiness for EMR downtime and facilitates data recovery following downtime.
- High School Diploma.
- Successful completion minimally of Fundamentals of Nursing with 2 semesters of clinical rotations. Must provide written verification of successful completion of said rotations OR successful completion of an accredited CNA program and listed on Illinois State CNA Registry.
- BLS through American Heart Association.
- Successful completion of an accredited CNA program and listed on Illinois State CNA Registry.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.