At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
Schedule : Thursday-Saturday 7:00pm-7:30am
The Operating Room Scrub Technician reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines, and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
This position is a member of the Surgical Team in the Operating Room, under the guidance of the Registered Nurse, who is responsible for the care and safety of the of the peri-operative patient. The Operating Room Scrub Technician is responsible for preparing the operating room for each surgical patient. Included in their responsibilities is the gathering of supplies, instruments and equipment necessary to ensure the efficient and safe conduct of each surgical procedure which they are assigned. The Operating Room Scrub Technician is also responsible for the proper care and handling of specimens, surgical instrumentation along with other duties they may be assigned.
- Assist surgical team during procedures which require the ability to stand for periods greater than 6 hours.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of aseptic technique and the ability to take corrective action for themselves and other team members when there is a break in technique.
- Demonstrate fine motor skills and eye-hand coordination necessary to handle small intricate surgical instruments, supplies and specimens.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide complete, accurate communication to all members of the surgical team.
- Prepares and maintains sterile field throughout the surgical procedure.
- Provides assistance to the surgical team. This includes draping of the surgical site, and efficient and safe handling of all sharps and instruments.
- Maintains accurate count of all supplies, suture and sponge items on the sterile field.
- Orients new staff to the ORST role.
- Physical ability to push, pull, lift, and move 30 pounds.
- Stocks room with supplies and equipment.
- Provide On-Call coverage for their department, either specialty or general, as designated by their manager.
- Following orientation, OR technicians are expected to take call according to the On-Call policy.
- High School Diploma.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Graduate of an accredited School of Surgical Technologists.
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation recognition (healthcare provider level).
- An essential function of this job is the ability to lift/carry weight of up to 35 pounds.
- An essential function of this job is the ability to push/pull with 50 pounds of force.
- Certified Surgical Technologist.
- Minimum of 2 years current Operating Room scrub technician experience.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.