View this video to learn more from the heroes that work at Northwestern Medicine.
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The schedule for this position can be two 12 hour shifts7p to 7:30a or three 8/hr shifts 11p - 7:30a with every other weekend required.
The Patient Care Technician reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
Under the supervision of an RN, the Patient Care Tech performs basic patient care activities.
- Performs basic nursing care activities as delegated and supervised by an RN, including monitoring vital signs, taking blood glucose measurements, and recording intake and output.
- Assists patients with tending to personal care and activities of daily living, including bathing, grooming and eating.
- Reports abnormal findings or changes in physical, mental and emotional conditions to nursing staff.
- Assists with keeping patient rooms clean and orderly.
- Demonstrates flexibility, organization, and multi-tasking. Able to function under stressful situations.
- Utilizes critical thinking skills to successfully demonstrate the ability to prioritize and complete unit work quickly as the needs of the unit, patients and staff change.
- Serves as liaison between patient care units and all other patient related departments.
- Answers telephone, intercom and call lights in a polite manner using appropriate telephone etiquette and communicates information to the appropriate staff/family/patient.
- Manages the overall unit workflow in concert with the charge RN and/or assistant manager, on an as needed basis.
- Performs pre-census and validates daily admission, discharge and census lists, on an as needed basis.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Nursing students who have completed one clinical rotation
- Certified Nursing Assistant,Certified Medical Assistant, Emergency Medical Technician, or nursing school students with one semester of clinical completed
- CPR - Basic Life Support
- Phlebotomy experience
- Graduate of an accredited Nursing Assistant program or Graduate of Phlebotomy course
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.