At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Patient Screening Coordinator reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
This position will have comprehensive knowledge of RMG GI patients' colonoscopy screening and endoscopy scheduling needs and will work in partnership with the physicians and clinical staff to ensure a smooth and efficient process. This position performs registration, scheduling, insurance verification/pre-certification, and clerical functions in an accurate and timely manner, delivering the highest level of customer service over the phone and in person.
- Schedules, cancels, confirms and reschedules patients for colonoscopy screening and endoscopy procedures.
- Follows the necessary requirements of the department, which can include completion of patient medical history questionnaires and coordination of scheduling with other departments.
- Obtains and updates patient demographics and insurance and billing information.
- Completes insurance verification, pre-certification, and obtains referrals when needed.
- Demonstrates competency registering patients within the Epic system.
- Maintains physician, patient and facility scheduling in accordance with colonoscopy screening and endoscopy protocol.
- Provides patient with pre-procedure instructions under the supervision of the physician.
- Refers clinical questions to an RN or physician.
- Monitors the Epic referral and scheduling work queues and communicates with patients requesting to be scheduled for GI procedures.
- Communicates financial responsibility:
- Communicates patient's financial responsibility and understands when to escalate to the appropriate level.
- Offers patient financial assistance information.
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing tasks and assignments on time.
- Contributes to opportunities and processes for continuous improvement.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum of two years of medical office experience.
- Experience with electronic medical record.
- Procedural or surgical scheduling experience.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.