At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Perfusionist reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Operates cardiopulmonary bypass and other life support equipment, to assist cardiac, transplant, and vascular surgeons as they perform their surgical procedures.
- Operate cardiopulmonary bypass circuit:
- Monitor oxygenator and adjust gas flow as needed
- Operate centrifugal and roller pumps to maintain adequate cardiac output
- Monitor blood temperature, O2, CO2, pH, venous saturations, and adjust as needed
- Monitor blood electrolytes, potassium, sodium, and calcium
- Monitor heparin management of patient while on bypass
- Cool and rewarm patient as directed by surgeon
- Set up and utilizes hemoconcentrators on bypass circuits if needed.
- Chart patients' vital parameters on perfusion record at regular intervals.
- Communicate to surgeon and anesthesiologist any problems, unusual occurrences, or deviations from the norm which may affect the patient while on bypass.
- Operate cell salvaging system in the O.R. to retrieve, process, and return shed blood back to the patient.
- Set up and operate intra-aortic balloon pump in the O.R. and as patient is transported to the ICU area.
- Set up and operate cardiac assist devices (LVAD's, Abiomed) while patient is in the O.R.
- Set up and calibrate CDI blood management system prior to initiating bypass.
- Must be able to take call coverage for cardiac and transplant procedures on a rotating basis with colleagues.
- Set up and operate PBS (portable bypass system), and be able to initiate bypass anywhere in the medical center.
- CCP or board eligible
- Graduate of an accredited perfusion school.
- Must maintain certification with the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion on a yearly basis, and provide proof to NMH of that certification in good standing.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.