At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
**This is a Part Time position at 32hrs per week located at Lake Forest Hospital. The hours arefrom2p-10:30p with an every other weekend.**
The Phlebotomist I reflects the mission, vision, and values of NMHC, adheres to the organizations Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Verifies identity of patients, donors and specimens; corrects any discrepancies before specimen is submitted to the laboratory.
- Determines specific specimen collection requirements and causes for rejection.
- Communicates information about test to patient, provides follow up instructions and availability of test results.
- Performs peripheral venipuncture and capillary blood collection for all age groups.
- Performs blood bank patient identification, banding and collection of specimens.
- Distinguishes an acceptable specimen from an unacceptable one and resolves issues, provides information to technical area and resolves with guidance.
- Interprets and accurately enters physician orders in the laboratory information system.
- Monitors electronic report distributions, completes requests for faxing and mailing reports and documents completion.
- Accepts supply deliveries, labels, inventories, documents lot numbers and stores in designated areas.
- Initiates documentation for occurrence reports, worksheets, reports and logs.
- Audits all orders placed by laboratory to ensure accuracy of clinical data.
- Participates in routine maintenance of lab equipment including front-end automation and accurately documents completion.
- Provides support to medical technologists. Receives specimens from all areas, labels and processes specimens for distribution to technical areas.
- Responds to designated emergency alert codes to provide laboratory support and ensures timely processing and reporting of results.
- Receives all incoming laboratory telephone calls. Assists caller and determines support required.
- Greet and establish positive first impressions with patients and customers, establishing a role as patient advocate.
- Follow all infection control policies, especially when drawing patients in isolation
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Certificate from accredited medical phlebotomy program or equivalent.
- American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Certification.
- Current CPR certification.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.