At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
**This is a Part Time position at 20hrs per week located at the Glenview Outpatient facility. This position would be 5 days per week with the hours being either 8a-12p or 9a-1p.**
The Phlebotomist reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Phlebotomist provides technically expert phlebotomy service by accurately collecting blood specimens by venipuncture or micro techniques for laboratory analysis. This role must consistently demonstrate concern and understanding of the patient and promote their comfort and well being while obtaining specimens. This position provides point of care testing, collects various non-blood specimens, and performs check-in responsibilities.
- Greets patients, maintains patient flow, completes accurate voucher information, prepares labels and verifies patient demographic data.
- Assesses the condition of patients to determine the most effective way to obtain samples.
- Verifies test requests and investigates ambiguous information before proceeding.
- Prepares appropriate supplies and obtains sample.
- Instructs patients in the collection of various non-blood specimens (urine culture, 24-hour urines, ova/parasites and stools).
- Ensures accurate voucher information, prepares completed samples for courier, and processes drop-offs
- Investigates lost, broken, mislabeled, incorrectly identified or otherwise unsatisfactory specimens and follows through to resolution.
- Verifies that supplies and stock are adequate and disseminated upon delivery.
- Answers phone, and responds appropriately to requests for information.
- Maintains and performs quality assurance on equipment (centrifuge, refrigerator, incubator).
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), National Certification Agency for Laboratory Professionals (NCA), or other nationally recognized organization certification.
- Basic Life Support (American Heart Association) certification.
- Diploma or certification of completion from an approved program in phlebotomy or approved equivalent relevant experience.
- Zero (0) to two (2) years' experience in a relevant role.
- Previous experience in a hospital or clinic environment.