The Morton Arboretum is a world-renowned nonprofit with a unique opportunity for a creative self-starter with an interest in trees, nature, and conservation. We’re seeking someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment and has experience creating authentic and unique visual photographic stories. You’ll be part of a talented Marketing and Communications team, working in a business casual office, with 1,700 acres of nature and beauty outside your office door.
Serve as primary photographer by photographing and editing images that promote the mission, beauty, and activities of The Morton Arboretum. As a member of the Marketing and Communications department, work closely with team members to develop ideas for images that will position the Arboretum as the leading center of tree expertise. Maintain Marketing and Communications photographic assets and contribute to organization-wide efforts to manage and share images that support the Arboretum's mission.
- Produce original ideas for engaging photographic images that communicate the Arboretum’s mission in a wide variety of Arboretum publications, owned assets, and advertising. Apply creative and technical proficiency, composition skills, and ability to use lighting to produce images that tell a story and/or record an event within the Arboretum brand style.
- Under the leadership of the Head of Design, collaborate with the design department staff on creative direction, align with team leaders to capture images based on an annual editorial calendar supporting the needs of the Marketing and Communications department spanning special events, lifestyle, scientific story subject matter, and overall beauty.
- Oversee post production of new images from start to finish including digital optimization, color correction, and file naming.
- Maintain Marketing and Communications photographic digital assets; follow consistent file naming, keyword, and metadata standards to enable search and retrieval of images. Work with Knowledge Management / Library staff to develop, document, and share image management best practices with other Arboretum employees. Collaborate with cross-departmental team to guide image use principles and procedures for the Arboretum.
- Work with Marketing and Communications team members to curate high-quality image galleries for staff and public use. Collaborate with Knowledge Management staff to ingest and share images via the Arboretum's digital asset management system.
- Maintain photography equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Photography required. In lieu of Bachelor’s degree, Associate degree plus professional experience may also suffice. 2+ years of digital photography experience required. Proven ability to tell a compelling story through photography, to engage a variety of audiences. Photographic portfolio demonstrating a “good eye,” imagination, and composition required. Demonstrated ability to put people at ease in front of the camera. Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and Bridge required. Understanding of best practices in digital asset management. Experience with Google applications beneficial.
Creative, innovative, and a self-starter. Effective time management skills, with the ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Understanding of the Arboretum style and tone. Ability to work independently and cohesively with fellow colleagues as part of a team. Good communication skills, respecting others' points of view through engagement and interest, incorporating constructive feedback. Customer service oriented with the ability to relate effectively with people of various backgrounds and ages. Strong interest in acquiring a thorough understanding of the Arboretum, its mission, programs, and staff.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires some physical activity: limited lifting and carrying (up to 20 lbs.), traveling around the Arboretum buildings and grounds. Some local travel.
- Work Environment: Work is performed both indoors and outdoors in all seasons and weather conditions.
- Equipment: General office equipment, computer, digital camera, appropriate lenses, tripods, backdrops, hard drives, the use of artificial lights, bounce boards, reflectors.
- Schedule: Requires some early morning, evening, and weekend work for film shoots and events.