Remote work from Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Missouri, Iowa, or Ohio
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Senior Software Developer reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Senior Software Developer is responsible for designing, developing, and testing applications for Northwestern Medicine.
- Develop software solutions by studying information needs, conferring with users, studying systems flow, data usage and work processes, and investigating problem areas
- Participate in the Agile software development from concept, design to full-stack coding and testing
- Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code
- Stay current on development tools, programming techniques and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications
- Provide senior level support in project, ad hoc status/issues meetings and conference calls
- Provide advice, coaching, training and educational opportunities to assist team members in closing performance and skill set gaps in order for them to advance
- Mentor junior and mid-level software developers
- Make informed decisions quickly and take ownership of services and applications at scale
- Create internal process improvement initiatives within team's toolsets and workflows
- Perform code reviews
- Provide operational support as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent knowledge of object-orientated programming and model-driven development
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams and management to collect requirements, identify tasks, provide estimates and meet production deadlines
- Experience with professional software engineering best practices including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes and continuous integration
- Must have a strong work ethic and a high level of professionalism
- Willingness to engage in discussion with the team to reach the best possible solutions for technical challenges while conforming to best practice and standards
- To be proactive, inquisitive, always looking for a challenge and wanting to constantly grow as a professional and to help others around you
- Proficient analytical skills and problem-solving ability
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent years of experience
- 5+ years of experience as a full stack software developer
- Microsoft SQL Server database design with experience in query optimization
- Front end frameworks (Angular, Razor, React, etc.)
- Source Control: TFS, Git
- Experience working in an agile environment .
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.