At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Senior Technical Writer reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
Northwestern Medicine is looking for a Senior Technical Writer to author, edit, and review architecture & product documentation. In this role, you will work with internal resources, interview architects, engineers & developers, and attend architecture and engineering meetings to gather, write, and publish technical information for our varied audiences. You will produce a variety of top quality material such as technical architecture documentation, developer guides, and user materials. The ideal candidate will have a strong, technical aptitude with the ability to quickly learn new concepts and tools and has a desire and ability to innovate and improve upon current processes.
- Create exceptional documentation in the form of architecture standards, developer documentation, user guides, FAQs, and other technical documents
- Research, write, edit and revise content that is readable and easy-to-use to user personas with both non-technical and technical backgrounds
- Edit other writers' content and documentation for consistency and continuously update content with current information
- Update existing documentation to reflect changes in functionality
- Ability to thrive, without much oversight, in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Ability to manage multiple writing assignments simultaneously
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development teams
- Ability to work with source control systems and workflow tools (Azure DevOps, ServiceNow, JIRA)
- Works collaboratively with and supports multi-departments efforts and projects.
- Mentors staff at all levels and seen as subject matter expert through sharing skills, experience, knowledge, and expertise with analytic tools, solutions, storytelling, and use of visualizations.
- Participates and contributes to training development, maintenance, and delivery both internally and externally as needed.
- Performs other duties and functions as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Five or more years of experience in technical writing
- Experience using API documentation (REST or .NET APIs)
- Previous experience working in an Agile environment
- Portfolio work and/or writing samples
- Demonstrated competency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Ability to effectively translate and present technical solutions in business or management terms.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple-priorities
- Effective problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Bachelor's degree in English, Communication, Journalism, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or Technical Writing
- Prior experience working within IT Development, SaaS, or web-based technology environment
- Ability to read some programming code
- Experience in presenting technical information in a live setting, such as classroom training, presentations, or video conference
- Previous healthcare experience, ideally with a health system
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.