Hybrid role, must reside in the DC or Chi area
Senior Manager of Media Relations is responsible for developing and leading BCBSA's proactive, earned media strategy to advance the organization's strategic objectives, drive coverage of key initiatives, and promote a positive industry and brand narrative.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Write and edit press releases, statements, talking points, briefing documents and other materials.
- Pitch stories to targeted media contacts and provide timely information to the press to build relationships and drive a positive reputation surrounding BCBS and the industry.
- Monitor industry trends and stay informed on policy issues impacting health care -supervising compilation and distribution of news clips to the organization.
- Prepare and staff executives for media interviews.
- Work with the social media team to identify opportunities to engage with reporters on BCBSA's digital channels.
- Help lead the Association's issues and crisis management strategies in collaboration with partners across the organization.
- Supervise Associate Consultant of Media Relations.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with business leaders that enhance trust and support for the mission of the communications function.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree - Communications related
- 6 years Media Relations programs
- Established relationships with national health care reporters and insurance industry trade press
- A proven record of measurable accomplishment in pitching and placing media stories
- Expertise in the development of communications strategies in support of reputation and branding
- Experience working with print, radio, broadcast and online media outlets
- Experience integrating traditional media efforts with social/digital media outreach
- Experience with crisis communications
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities while delivering high-quality results. Demonstrated ability to work flexibly and handle ambiguity
- Written and verbal communications skills - in particular solid writing skills with ability to craft comprehensive communications plans and compelling talking points, messages, press releases, op-eds and other media materials
- Customer focus and unwavering integrity, with character and behavior that is consistent with the mission and values of the BlueCross BlueShield Brands
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; an analytic and strategic approach with a track record of turning ideas into successful action
- Competency to counsel leadership on media relations strategy
- Competency to translate technical and complex information into newsworthy media pitches
- Effective relationship building skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment
Equal Opportunity Employer
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics