Responsible for managing medium to large sized projects of moderate-to-high complexity and all related deliverables. Manages project reporting and transparency of project status for schedule, budget, risks, and issues. Provides monthly financial health assessment and coordinates project forecasts. Facilitates planning and execution of the project activities and resources to ensure that established cost, time and quality goals are met. Responsible for creating and tracking project schedule and adjusting project plans and/or resources to meet the needs of customers. Oversight of Project change control and escalation. Facilitates risk evaluation and development of mitigation plans to meet project objectives. Uses standard EPMO project management processes, methodologies, and documentation practices to ensure projects meet project objectives. Acts as the customer's primary point of contact for the project.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Manage Project Deliverables: Directly manage all aspects of the project lifecycle through EPMO defined project management processes. Ensure stakeholders receive the necessary information to make sound decisions and trade-offs between scope, cost, and schedule. Leads and manage project meetings. Document action items and track follow up. Communicates instructions/processes to project team members in a matrix organization. Rigorously manages scope to ensure commitments are achieved within agreed parameters. Effectively manages vendor deliverables (as warranted by project).
Plan and Organize: Creates an integrated project schedule, resource plan, budget, communications plan for assigned projects. Breaks down the work into logical process steps and works streams. Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks by working with subject matter experts. Revises plans when appropriate.
Problem Solving/Conflict Management: Develops clear action plans and schedules to resolve complex issues. Manages conflict within the project, team, and stakeholders. Facilitates effective solutions to problems using effective techniques to address complex challenges with effective solutions. Uses a fact based investigation and collection process to facilitate good decision making. Considers the impact to stakeholders and project goals and objectives in problem solving/conflict management.
Project Control: Collects information from multiple sources to assess project status. Uses information to evaluate impact to project deliverables (schedule, scope, budget, resources, issues, quality). Determines status of projects based on common criteria. Documents and communicates status to stakeholders (minimum weekly). Assesses and determines when to use escalation protocols. Fairly reports status considering inputs collected. Enforce and provides oversight of defined project management controls. Validates financial forecasts and provides on-going reconciliation of resources and other related project expenditures.
Lead: Understands the business objectives and communicates clear direction, coaching, and support to project team. Manages the day-to-day activities of projects and staff in a matrixed environment. Assesses the physical, financial, and human capital resources to meet project deliverables, considering budget and risk implications. Recommends and works corrective action implementation with functional managers. Responsible for establishing and maintaining team norms and fostering positive and productive working relationships to maximize the contribution of each and every team member. Cultivates a team culture that is transparent and brings out the best in people.
Project Change Management: Establishes and follows a discipline of project change control. Establishes scope and project, baselines. Evaluates progress and prepares schedule and financial forecasts. Proactively facilitates project issue and risk identification, assessment, mitigation, and tracking using standard controls. Manages decisions within the defined escalation process.
Other Job Functions:
Documentation: Supervises artifact documentation to ensure practices are being followed. Writes effective and timely status reports. Leads by example, demonstrating good documentation practices for project management documentation for formal and informal communication and project related artifacts.
Serve Customers: Understands the business case for the project and the context in which it is executed. Communicate continuously with stakeholders (including customers) on project plans, status, risks, issues, changes, and the impact of each on the realization of the business case. Responds appropriately to questions in a timely manner and anticipates future questions. Provides implementation support to internal/external customers.
Monitoring/Tracking: Put in place, use, enforce and improve the project controls (approved tools) to maintain and update information for clear, objective, and fact-based project status reporting. Regularly captures and distributes action items, agreements, and responsibilities in Project meetings.
Project Financials: Prepare project financial estimates and statistics. Analyze estimates and actuals to prepare project financial health assessment and recommendations. Responsible for presenting results to stakeholders.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience in similar work environment
- Minimum of 7 years of Project work experience including, ability to manage medium to large business and technology projects through the full software development lifecycle.
- Minimum of 2 years direct supervisor or team leader experience
- Extensive knowledge in the use of Project Management methodologies (agile, scrum, waterfall, etc.)
- Demonstrated analytic experience in budgeting, estimating, and project financial review Experience using predictive methods for resource estimations, risk assessment, budget creation
- Proven ability to quickly earn the trust of sponsors and key stakeholders; set direction and approach; resolve conflict; deliver tough messages; execute with limited information and ambiguity
- Demonstrated interpersonal savvy
- Superior analytical skills to support quality decision making in support of the project
- Conflict resolution skills
- Manages conflicts by reading situations quickly, identifying potential solutions and gaining cooperation with minimal disruption
- Solid influencing skills with the demonstrated ability to influence and build consensus for business results
- Consistent result driven project leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Problem solving skills including the ability to make good decisions in ambiguous and unfamiliar situations
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and listening)
- Ability to effectively prepare and present verbal and written project related information
- Ability to communicate with clarity and precision both written and verbally
- Adaptive learning skills
- Versatile team player that is comfortable under pressure
Preferred Basic Qualifications:
- Experience managing resources to budget and project risks and issues during project life cycles
- Experience with use of change management techniques
- Demonstrated Problem Solving skills
- Demonstrated business and technical acumen. BCBS or health insurance industry background
- Demonstrated ownership and commitment to achieve project goals
- PMP Certification (or comparable equivalent)
Equal Opportunity Employer
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics