Defense One is seeking an experienced reporter to join our Washington, D.C., newsroom and expand our coverage of the Army. The Staff Reporter will break news, write articles, and moderate live events. We want enterprise stories that connect service branches to current events, reporting on news and newsmakers from the Pentagon to the farthest combat outposts, from industry expos to chow halls. As a Staff Reporter, you will cover how U.S. troops are being funded, equipped, prepared and tasked to execute policy and missions. Experience covering the military, defense or intelligence is required.
- Report and write news on deadline.
- File frequent and clean copy.
- Some travel to cover service-specific events, conferences and shows.
- Occasional news production, including posting to the site, editing photos, writing headlines and sending news alerts.
- Collaborate with other members of the Defense One newsroom.
- At least three years of journalism experience related to defense and similar areas.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Digital newsroom skills.
- A positive and good-natured attitude.
GovExec’s data and insights set the standard for depth, accuracy, and impact for government leaders and contractors. As the market-leading information and intent-based marketing platform, GovExec has empowered the government ecosystem to engage and support government leaders as they work to achieve their missions across federal, defense, and state and local agencies. Our strategic sales enablement and intent-based marketing solutions accelerate revenue growth to fuel market success. The platform is powered by the largest and most sophisticated database in the public sector, GovExec’s platform reaches 3.3 million government influencers each month and provides its marketing clients with a significant competitive advantage in driving higher conversion and growth.
Working at GovExec
At GovExec, we believe that a new era of work—particularly when, where, and how it gets done—has arrived. We are building a hybrid workplace that allows for greater freedom and flexibility while also fostering a collaborative culture, no matter where you are working. GovExec offers permanent remote work in 20+ states across the U.S. as well as the option to work out of one of our offices based in Washington, D.C., New York, or San Diego. GovExec also offers a range of great benefits, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Open time-off policy
- Twelve weeks’ paid parental leave
- Supportive, collaborative teams
- Unique opportunity to help government officials from a private-sector company
- Expansive learning and development opportunities
GovExec recruits people for four attributes or qualities:
- Soul of Entrepreneurship
- Culture of Inclusion
- Force of Ideas
- Spirit of Generosity
The compensation range for this role is $50,000 to $75,000 per year.
Government Executive Media Group, Inc. and its affiliates ("GovExec") are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by applicable law.