About City & State New York
City & State New York, a division of GovExec, is the premier media organization dedicated to covering New York politics and policy. Our in-depth, nonpartisan coverage serves New York’s leaders every day as a trusted guide to the issues impacting the state. We offer round-the-clock coverage through our award-winning commentary and analysis, weekly publications, daily newsletters, events, and more.
City & State is seeking an Associate State Politics Reporter with a passion for New York state politics to work with our Albany statehouse team of journalists. You will work out of the state Capitol in Albany, pitching and producing well-researched, analytical news stories as well as in-depth magazine stories. During the state legislative session from January through June, you will also work on the daily Albany Agenda newsletter which has become an essential resource for anyone following the state Legislature. We’re looking for a driven reporter who’s interested in the political dynamics of Albany, including the relationship between Gov. Kathy Hochul’s administration and legislative leaders, and willing to build sources among lawmakers and lobbyists. This is a hybrid position that can accommodate a mix of remote work and in-person reporting in and around the state Capitol complex in Albany.
• Track the state Legislature throughout the session, following policy and oversight from the state Capitol
• Work with the statehouse team to compile the daily Albany Agenda newsletter
• Pitch, report, and write original coverage and analysis of state policy, campaigns, and lawmakers
• Serve on a rotation of journalists compiling the First Read newsletter, with the possibility of one early morning shift per week
• Occasionally moderate City & State’s virtual panels or events
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field
• One to two years of reporting experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to pitch, report and write stories on deadline
• Based in Albany or willing to relocate
• Strong understanding of and interest in state politics and policymaking
• Clear awareness of existing state Capitol coverage
• Strong attention to detail
Please include a resume, cover letter and 2-3 work samples (published news articles preferred) with your application.
GovExec’s data and insights set the standard for depth, accuracy, and impact for government leaders and contractors. As the market-leading information and intent-based marketing platform, for over fifty years GovExec has empowered the government ecosystem to engage and support government leaders as they work to achieve their missions across federal, defense, and state and local agencies. Our strategic sales enablement and intent-based marketing solutions accelerate revenue growth to fuel market success. The platform is powered by the largest and most sophisticated database in the public sector, GovExec’s platform reaches 3.3 million government influencers each month and provides its marketing clients with a significant competitive advantage in driving higher conversion and growth.
Working at GovExec
At GovExec, we believe that a new era of work -- particularly when, where, and how it gets done -- has arrived. We are building a hybrid workplace that allows for greater freedom and flexibility while also fostering a collaborative culture, no matter where you are working. GovExec offers permanent remote work in 20+ states across the US, as well as the option to work out of one of our offices based in Washington DC, New York or San Diego. GovExec also offers a range of great benefits including:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
• 401(k) retirement plan with company match
• Open time off policy
• Twelve weeks paid parental leave
• Supportive, collaborative teams
• Unique opportunity to help government officials from a private sector company
• Expansive learning and development opportunities
Commitment to Shared Values
GovExec recruits talent for four salient attributes or qualities:
• Soul of Entrepreneurship
• Culture of Inclusion
• Force of Ideas
• Spirit of Generosity
This position pays $50,000 to $54,500 annually.
Government Executive Media Group, Inc. and its affiliates ("GovExec") are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/Nw21VRC75bPNniAQPIrOPo