Job Summary and Primary Responsibilities
This position is responsible for performing testing requirements for the biomechanical evaluation of spinal implants, instrumentation, and materials. This position is also responsible for assistance with routine test lab maintenance activities.
- Conduct standard mechanical tests (axial and biaxial load frames) and wear tests (wear simulators) by following ASTM/ISO Standards, Department Procedures, and NuVasive SOPs.
- Assist with routine test lab maintenance activities including, but not limited to, test equipment preventative maintenance and calibration coordination, chemical inventory management, and lab supply replenishment.
- Assist with biomechanical testing, including preparation of specimens and conduction of experiments.
- Perform standard and non-standard testing with supervision.
- Typically receive detailed instructions on all work. Work on problems of limited scope.
- Operate mechanical test systems and general lab equipment with a basic understanding of all functions.
- Possess or quickly develop a good working knowledge of relevant testing standards including, but not limited to, ASTM F1717, F1798, F2077, F2267, and F2706.
- Perform duties in compliance with applicable FDA and state regulations and standards, including, but not limited to, ISO 13485.
- Flexible and adaptable to changes in direction, testing requirements, project scope, and timeline. Responds quickly to testing requests.
- Capable of effectively communicating test status updates and details of test execution to customers, management, and teammates.
- Possesses or quickly develops the ability to be a resource for troubleshooting mecha nical test systems and other lab equipment errors.
- Support other work within the Research & Testing department, as required.
Required Skills / Capabilities
- Proficient and accurate with word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), charting, flow charting, and graphs. Competency in navigating the internet.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- A full understanding of arithmetic and geometry is required.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- A basic understanding of statistics is desired.
- Fundamental knowledge of solid mechanics, statics, and kinematics, is highly desired.
- Ability to solve and interpret problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- A bility to interpret technical instructions in written, oral, mathematical, diagram, or schedule form and deal with abstract and/or concrete variables.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma required.
- An associate degree in a technical discipline is preferred.
- 2-5 years of related experience is required.
- Prior experience with mechanical test systems and general lab equipment is highly desired.
- Must have strong problem-solving, attention to detail, organization, and execution skills.
Travel and/or Physical Requirements
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, taste, or smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
NuVasive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. The "EEO is the Law" poster options are available here . NuVasive's EEO policy is available here .
About NuVasive NuVasive, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUVA) is the leader in spine technology innovation, with a mission to transform surgery, advance care, and change lives. The Company's less-invasive, procedurally integrated surgical solutions are designed to deliver reproducible and clinically proven outcomes. The Company's comprehensive procedural portfolio includes surgical access instruments, spinal implants, fixation systems, biologics, software for surgical planning, navigation and imaging solutions, magnetically adjustable implant systems for spine and orthopedics, and intraoperative neuromonitoring technology and service offerings. With more than $1 billion in net sales, NuVasive has approximately 2,700 employees and operates in more than 50 countries serving surgeons, hospitals, and patients. For more information, please visit www.nuvasive.com .