Reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer, the VP of Diversity and Community Engagement is responsible for expanding and promoting BCBSA's community engagement. This role will foster diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB), both within the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) and the communities we serve. Through our engagement with outside stakeholders, this role will advance BCBSA's mission, strategic priorities and brand leadership. The VP of Diversity and Community Engagement will pilot initiatives that support BCBSA's goal of increasing the equity of the health care landscape for our members.
Strategy Development & Execution:
Develop and execute a comprehensive strategy for community engagement and DEIB initiatives aligning with the organization's mission and values. Promote diversity and inclusion within the company, creating a welcoming and equitable workplace for all employees. The comprehensive strategy will align with BCBSA's mission & values and promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and a sense of belonging throughout the company. Support similar public engagement strategies and engagement programs that support philanthropic activities and volunteer opportunities for employees.
Stakeholder Engagement & Community Relations:
Foster positive relationships with key stakeholders, including employees and community organizations, to drive community initiatives and partnerships. This position will devise and deliver BCBSA community impact events Day with a triple aim-employee, Association, and our local community benefit.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging:
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging: Review, lead, and implement the DEIB strategy focusing on driving inclusive employee engagement, a diverse workforce, positive community health impact, and supplier diversity. Lead the organization through the development of annual metrics and engage, consult, and inspire leaders within the team and across the organization to deliver on our commitments.
Community Board Placement: Partner with executive leadership team and others across BCBSA to identify strategically aligned community boards that further our North Star Priorities and provide career development opportunities for high-potential talent.
Reputation Management: In partnership with Strategic Communications, develop strategies, messages, and collateral that communicate the Association's work and impact in DEIB and community engagement to target audiences.
Research & Innovation: Stay informed about emerging trends, research, and best practices related to community engagement, diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in health care and within the human capital practice.
Provide leadership and guidance to BCBSA, our Blue Plans, and our internal and external stakeholders, fostering a commitment to community engagement and DEIB. Manage the Association's philanthropic efforts, including charitable donations, grants, and employee volunteer programs, to support the community and causes aligned with company values. Collaborate with our Corporate Affairs team in support of our Community Engagement efforts and Blue System initiatives. Champion DEIB initiatives at all levels of the organization, engaging senior leadership, managers, and employees in driving cultural change.
Education, Training, & Career Development:
Develop and implement educational programs and training initiatives to raise awareness and understanding of DEIB issues and best practices. Collaborate across all human resources functions and across the Association to embed diverse education strategies, creating an inclusive employee experience. Oversees the development and support of the Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to connect and influence DEIB efforts.
Competencies & Qualifications
- Strong interpersonal skills, high EQ, and ability to build trusted relationships with diverse internal/external stakeholders and cross functional partners
- Collaborative and transparent leadership style with ability to intuitively connect the right stakeholders to BCBSA's public-facing work and internal initiatives at the right time
- Strategic thinker with strong problem solving capabilities
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills
- A successful candidate will be able to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at an advanced level. This includes possessing a high aptitude for building relationships and promoting confidence at differing levels of leadership through use of highly sophisticated communication skills.
- Ability to build trust and lead with authenticity
- Excellent project management and strategic planning capabilities
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of leading DEIB experience
- Strong knowledge of health care policies, practices and regulations
- 15+ Years business experience
- Health care experience preferred