A comprehensive Conference Board study surveyed 98 companies to identify what they are doing well to create a disability inclusive workplace and foster an environment that encourages voluntary self-identification of disability. Here are a few key recommendations of the Conference Board Study:
- Share stories of successful employees with disabilities
- Foster a strong employee resource group/business network on disabilities
- Capitalize on the emergence of aging workforce issues and disability issues. (Disability increases with age.)
- Help managers, supervisors and employees without disabilities become “disability confident”
- Set up a voluntary self-identification program for employees and applicants with disabilities. Communicate the benefits and how the information will be used.